Happy New Year y’all! It is 2014 and I am happy, mostly because I deal better with even numbers.
What else can I write about besides resolutions? Here are mine (in no particular order):
- Don’t say JUST. Examples: I “just” do this for fun / I “just” ran the half, not the full / I “just” write this blog for myself, and 10 other people. I’ve read some great stuff about this here, here and here. I think women need to stop undermining themselves and I am doing my part by reading this, this and this in 2014.
- Exercise. What New Year’s list does not include getting fit? I don’t need to start something, as I am already a disciplined runner and I already joined a studio but, my resolution is to keep it up, and keep trying new things. Joining a group fitness studio in 2013 was a big deal for me and I am loving all of the new activities it offers. Plus, it gets me out of the house.
- Keep busy. One of the hardest things about being self-employed are the two expressions “feast or famine” and “when it rains, it pours”. I am much happier when I am busy but winter can lead to cabin fever, especially if work is quiet, so I am going to work hard on personal projects and keep lots of to-do lists. I guess I should file KEEP UP WITH THE BLOG under this bullet point.
- Eat good, cook good. I suck at this. I do and I will admit it. As a friend suggested, recording dinner menus on a monthly calendar will help. Annnnd we did this for awhile but that train derailed. So, all aboard, this train is getting back on track.
- See friends. We have friend, we really do. But do we hang out enough? Hells no. Must invite people over more often.
- Dates. Must go out with and without David on dates. Movies, bowling, whatev’. Just get out.
- Embrace winter… this is a tough one for me. I am not a fan of the cold and although I rarely have trouble running through snow, slush and ice, the thought of doing real winter activities can be terribly unappealing. So, despite cold toes and fingers, I will attempt to skate more often at the oval and will go downhill skiing at least once. I got a helmet and ski pants – that’s a good start!
- Travel. We must visit our family in England so I am adding this to my list of resolutions. That means it will happen.
- Drink more water. I think I say this every year. I think everyone says this every year.
- Touch base. Friends, family. We are all soooo busy and it is easy to loose touch. Facebook and texting shouldn’t count. Pizza Fridays should start up for real this time.
And as a bonus, I always eliminate something for a year. Last year it was potato chips. For some, this may be really hard but for me, it’s not a huge deal – I like chips but I don’t crave them. If they’re around, I will indulge but it’s rare I’d buy them. So for me, this is just a way of avoiding and eliminating something I don’t really need or want. Items that are super easy, which I could also include on this list: Pop, red meat and poultry (it’s been 10 years!), Doritos, hard liquor, cable and gambling. Items that would be more challenging: Chocolate, french fries *including poutine, coffee, wine, beer, Netflix, carbohydrates and social media. So, for 2014 I am eliminating FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. I don’t go to them often but, once in awhile, I will crave a Harvey’s veggie burger. So, unless you are a local one-off joint, sorry, but you won’t see me in your establishment. (Starbuck is not included).
I wish everyone a safe, healthy and happy 2014. xomeg
Pingback: You say you want a resolution | hello sunshine