Today’s online finds: Inspirational, educational and very close to home. I grew up with Carly, and her family’s story needs to be heard. Her voice has been strong, loud and clear and now it’s our turn to do our part. Please Share. Support. Donate. Write. Speak up.
- A Nova Scotia mother, Carly Sutherland talks about her nine-year-old son with severe autism who suffers from violently aggressive fits. She asks the Prime Minister what he’ll do to support them. (Global)
- Mother tells Trudeau autism care is a ‘human rights issue’ (CBC)
- Mother of boy with autism details plight at home: ‘We’re living in a nightmare’ (CTV)
- Nowhere to go: Nova Scotia boy falls through gaps in autism care (The Globe and Mail)
- Write. Erica wrote the letter below and all you need to do it copy, paste and SEND to your MLA.
- Donate: Help Callum Sutherland get the assistance he needs! (YouCaring)
I’m writing in support of families who have children impacted by Autism and whose children are faced with a mental health or behavioural crisis related to their diagnosis. The province of Nova Scotia must step up to the table and provide the supports necessary for these complex cases involving children in crisis.
Namely, I am insisting the government:
1. Ensure families with children in crisis have access to necessary resources to maintain the safety of their home (funded in-home support);
2. Ensure coordination between the departments of community services, health, and education to develop a shared plan of support for children who are in crisis;
3. To continue publicly funded, evidence-based interventions for children affected by Autism past the age of six.
Thank you for your consideration.
Here’s a list of MLAs:
Ochterloney St., Dartmouth
Main Street, Dartmouth
Eastern Passage, NS
Joe How Dr.
Quinpool Rd, Halifax
East Preston, Dartmouth
Lena Metlege Diab
Craigmore Drive, Halifax
Lacewood Dr, Halifax
Spring Garden Road, Halifax
Wyse Road, Dartmouth
Herring Cove, Halifax
Young St, Halifax