It’s Friday’s online finds: Cozy up and dig in.
- We Can’t Have a Feminist Future Without Abolishing the Family. The feminist thinker Sophie Lewis has a radical proposal for what comes next. (Vice)
- Can I bring 11 items to the 10 items or less aisle? Who’s really counting? —I’m not counting; GOD IS COUNTING. This is the honor system, do you have any? I don’t think 11 is a big deal; 14 is too far; 23 is outrageous. This is the only order we have left—don’t let it disintegrate into lawless chaos like Twitter and Congress. Solicited advice from Alex Beggs on how to behave at the grocery store. (Bon Appetite)
- Piecing Together Dorothea Lange’s Migrant Mother—A MoMA curator unravels a mystery surrounding one of photography’s most iconic images. (MOMA)
- Ben Affleck Tried to Drink Away the Pain. Now He’s Trying Honesty. The actor speaks frankly about everything from his addictive behavior and his divorce to why he lied about that back tattoo. (NYT)
- This woman is my hero (Bored Panda)
- Missing & Murdered: Finding Cleo—A difficult listen but a well-told story. (CBC)
- 1997 was a great year for music (Pudding)
- The New York Public Library Creates a List of 125 Books That They Love (Open Culture)
- Watching this makes me hate Amazon but yet I still pay for and drink the Kool-Aid (Kottke)
- This would be an amazing race to volunteer/spectate – who will be watching tomorrow!? (Runner’s World)
- Why Teenagers Reject Parents’ Solutions to Their Problems (NYT)
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi Dinners Are Crispy, No-Mess Perfection (Kitchn)
- Schrödinger’s Rapist (Design Mom)
When you approach me in public, you are Schrödinger’s Rapist. You may or may not be a man who would commit rape. I won’t know for sure unless you start sexually assaulting me. I can’t see inside your head, and I don’t know your intentions. If you expect me to trust you – to accept you at face value as a nice sort of guy – you are not only failing to respect my reasonable caution, you are being cavalier about my personal safety.
- And personally, I have big feelings about this (I am an early morning runner)