As I was putting together my annual Oscar Nomination Check List here are 10 things that were on my mind:
- WHITE MEN for the win!
- Wait, didn’t the AVENGERS and STAR WARS get nominated last year?
- Did the Academy intentionally give Greta and Noah the same amount of nominations so to keep their marriage intact?
- JOKER got the most nominations… is this a joke?*
- It’s a family affair with movie titles including A SISTER, SISTER, BROTHERHOOD, MARRIAGE STORY and PAIN AND GLORY
- Greta, I’m sorry. You got denied… but Amy (Florence Pugh) got Laurie and a nomination, not cool!
- Scarlett Johansson could win both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress in one night.
- Which will be longer… THE IRISHMAN or Oscar Night?
- I am excited to watch PARASITE and JOJO RABBIT
- Movies I was (am) excited to see that did not make the cut: JUST MERCY and THE FARWELL
*When I mentioned to my friend Anna my disappointment about having to watch JOKER, she replied “Don’t! The list isn’t meant to be a punishment! Watch what sparks joy!”
I have seen 7 out of 53 nominations (BOMBSHELL, LITTLE WOMEN, MARRIAGE STORY, ROCKETMAN, THE IRISHMAN, THE TWO POPES and TOY STORY 4) so that’s not great and, to be honest, not a lot of the unseen titles are sparking much joy. I read on twitter someone suggesting we should have a Fake Oscar Night. Like Fake Prom Night—when you just do your own thing. I’m down for that and claim Michael B. Jordan as my date!
(Download a Oscar Noms 2020)