In the final decade of his life, my grandfather woke up every single day at 7AM, picked a fresh wildflower on his morning walk, and took it to my grandmother. One morning, I decided to go with him to see her. And as he placed the flower on her gravestone, he looked up at me and said, “I just wish I had picked her a fresh flower every morning when she was alive. She really would have loved that.” – 10 Regrets Too Many People Will Have in 10 Years
Sorry friends, that was heavy.
We all have regrets. Some are big. Some are crushing. Here are ten of mine:
10 things I regret
- Not picking a “thing” to always seek out on holiday like pottery or a Christmas tree ornament. I have a nice collection of tea towels but the inconsistency kills me.
- Dropping out of sports after back surgery. I wasn’t heading to the Olympics in anything but I quit swimming, ringette and paddling. Although I picked up running in my late 20s, I wish I had the credentials to be an overaged lifeguard this summer.
- Not waiting tables. Although Ben & Jerry’s was the best.job.ever. I should have waited tables. It sounds cooler than retired sandwich artist.
- Not listening to more stories from my grandparents before they passed away. Luckily, we’re still getting some good ones from Nanny. David is at a great age for inquiring about things like war and the Halifax Explosion so he’s always curious.
- Not patening my highschool invention: the PeanutButter Machine. Basically, it was a baggie filled peanut butter for on-the-go snacking. Damn you, Justin.
- Not doing more school. I got into the PR program at MSVU but didn’t go, I choose to start a career instead. It’s working out great.
- Not having a wedding cake… actually, it would have been pies. I love pies.
- Not asking Santa for the Sony Walkman with the radio. I bet I’d know more music lyrics from the 80s had I made a better choice.
- David’s first year. I didn’t have maternity leave and tried to continue freelancing. I was a mess, David was a mess, it was rough.
- Naming my computers MacDaddy and DaddyMac. When I send PDF to clients, MacDaddy is my name and I am too lazy to fix it. Guys, it’s not really a regret, who doesn’t like Kriss Kross? I just wanted an excuse to post this… For all y’all suckers that don’t know, check it out:
But, despite what you may think, I do NOT regret choosing team Milli Vanilli over team NKOTB. I stand by some life choices.
To clarify, I grew up on a street with six girls the same age… we legit had an epic fight over Mili Vanilli and NKOTB. Looking back, I’m not sure why we couldn’t like both – it had to be one or the other. Kids are weird.
psst. If you like what you’re reading, please subscribe and share. xomeg