I’m at the point in marathon training where I need to spend less time thinking about the training and more time actually training… The long runs are creeping in and it’s starting to get serious.
I am so excited for this race… It’s the CHICAGO MARATHON!
A (hopefully) sub-4-hour sightseeing tour of the city should give me a nice peak at what Chicago has to offer but my list of other things to see and do is growing.
We are arriving on the Thursday before the race and staying until the following Wednesday – David is coming, which means less nightlife and more chicken-finger-friendly establishments but I think it will be an awesome adventure for all of us – including my parent’s too! With the race on Sunday, I plan to squeeze in most of the sightseeing afterwards to avoid fatigue and blisters prior to the run, making for a lot of things to see in a small amount of time however, not to worry, planning is what I do best. The number one item on my list is the CAF River Cruise so I already booked our tickets for the morning after the race – I think an architectural boat tour will be all my aching legs can handle. Other items on the list include:
- Cloud Gate (the big bean) in Millennium Park
- Deep dish pizza, obviously (but which one?!?)
- The Magnificent Mile and Lake Shore Drive
- At least one of the following: Museum of Science and Industry, The Field Museum (of Natural History) or The Art Institute of Chicago
- And… While at the Art Institute of Chicago pose like Ferris Bueller, Sloane and Cameron
- Find and eat a vegetarian version of the Chicago Style Hotdogs
- The Skydeck
- Lincoln Park Zoo (I think they’ll do this on Saturday while I hang out at the race expo)
- Find Oprah
- Shedd Aquarium
- The Lego store
- Walk around Bucktown / Wicker Park
- Find a good local brew (beer and coffee!)
- Check out a Frank Lloyd Wright house or building
Let me know if you have any recommendations – I have never been to the Windy City!
A. Silver Bean necklace / B. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off / C. Catstudio Chicago Pillow / D. Ork Chicago Poster / E. Chicago Flag bowles / F. Chicago Cubs patch / G. Chitown Chicago T-Shirt / H. Chicago Skyline Socks / I. Chicago Blackhawks hat / J. Chicago Style Hotdogs / K. Deep dish pizza / L. Chicago Art Print by Rifle Paper Co. / M. Chicago Bulls Sunglasses / N. Chitown Chicago Beer Koozie / O. Garrett Popcorn / P. Chicago is Always a Good Idea Print
psst. If you like what you’re reading, please subscribe and share. xomeg
I can’t wait to hear about the circumstances in which you locate Oprah….
Good Luck and have fun! Can’t wait to read about it! I saw this article on Buzzfeed the other day about a place to- may be worth checking out! (I have never been) http://www.buzzfeed.com/ninamohan/portillos-is-amazing#.wtL7laRaP
thank you! this looks so good. so bad for you but so good. I will bookmark.
ps. happy belated birthday! xo