It is race weekend in Halifax with the 11th year of the Blue Nose Marathon. There will be a lot of runners and a lot of blue noses.
David and I are running in the Youth 4km event for the second year in a row and I am excited about that. I love seeing hundreds of kids taking over the streets and having fun. I have also registered for the half marathon and it will be my fourth time running the BN Half. I’m not gonna lie, this race is challenging for me for a few reasons: It’s not the flattest, nor the easiest course and I know this because I run these roads every day! The race goes by my street … twice! Some would say familiarity is a good thing but for me, I enjoy the unexpected which is why I love running in other cities more. The Blue Nose however, is a great event and I am sure it will be lovely weekend. And with promising weather, why not get out and run or cheer?
Speaking of cheering. My favourite distraction in a race are the signs people hold up and yes, I always keep score of the best posters during a race.
If you require sign-making inspiration, my all-time favourites I’ve seen are:
- HIGH FIVES MAKE YOU FASTER! (it is true)
- Sneakers – $100, Race registration – $75, Finishing your first marathon – priceless (saw this in Philly during my first marathon)
- This is the last hill, I promise (saw this in PEI during my first half, and he was not lying)
- Worst parade ever
- Whine now, wine later
- If races were easy, they’d be called your mom (oh no you didn’t! )
- Who needs nipples?
- I’m sure it seems like a great idea 4 months ago
- Blisters are braille for AWESOME
- Go Mommy Go (just because)
Have a great long weekend, and if you are running – GOOD LUCK and Giv’er!
Pictures from last year. It was damn cold.
psst. If you like what you’re reading, please subscribe and share. xomeg