It’s the most wonderful time of the year! And in my opinion, the most wonderful time for movie watching. It’s when you can re-watch your favourite movies while working away on holiday projects and there is no pressure (yet) to cram for the Oscar season.
I often have a lot of personal projects going on throughout November and December – designing, printing, cutting, stuffing and sealing holiday cards and calendars involve a lot of couch-time so it’s great to have a movie playing while the trusty paper-cutter and I work away.
There are many lists online rating the top Christmas movies, and I get it, It’s a Wonderful Life is a classic, but sorry, it is not on my top-5.
So in no particular order here are the five I will be watching at least once each.
- Little Women (1994 edition) : “I could never love anyone as I love my sisters.”
How can you not love a movie with a quote like that! The writing, the acting and the set make this movie so beautiful. However, with this being said, I can’t help but wish one year, Jo March will fall madly in love with Laurie.\
- Love Actually (2003) : “We’ve been given our parts in the nativity play. And I’m the lobster.”
Has it really been 10 years? A great holiday movie with an amazing cast – and NO ONE can sing a Christmas song like Mariah Carey!
- Home Alone (1990) : “Bless this highly nutritious microwavable macaroni and cheese dinner and the people who sold it on sale. Amen.”
I watched this with David last year, he didn’t get it… I will try again this year.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989) : “Oh, Eddie… If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised than I am now.”
Who doesn’t idolize Clark Griswold and his lights. The lines in this movie never get old.
- One Magic Christmas (1985) : “What do Christmas angels do?” “Well, my job is to, every Christmas, have to help one person, that’s feeling down, to get into the Christmas spirit.”
Grab a box of Kleenex! Have you seen this? Most people have no clue about this movie but it’s a Christmas masterpiece.